Seppelt Stakes Day at Flemington Racecourse is a fun family day. What this screams for us is matching family outfits! Unfortunately, Mum and Dad were not able to join us like last year. Luckily (or unluckily for her) Sophia was able to join us and helped design her own dress for the day.
We purchased the navy and white gingham from Spotlight. We wanted to ensure that there would be a contrast in the scale of the pattern to add some textural interest to the outfits.
Pattern: Bodice Simplicity 6408 and skirt Vogue 9349 Fabric: Navy and white gingham from Spotlight Lexington Headpiece: Lauren J Ritchie
Our dear friend Dr Kate, also known as Stitches and Sutures comes over for Sewing Sundays. The champion helped us with the sewing for this week. Taking on challenges such a large amounts of hand sewing, advanced Vogue Pants and welt zippers. Her dedication can be best demonstrated by her commitment to Lauren’s straight hems on her pants. Thank you Dr Kate!
The Myer Millinery Award is a prestigious competition that is open to Milliners across the globe. A selection of 60 of the best applications are invited to present a piece on Kennedy Oaks Day. This year Lauren created this stunning red tulle piece titled Mayfair. Erin modelled the piece and wore the red tulle dress that was created for an event earlier in the year.
Design: Bodice pattern Vogue 9355 with circle skirt with quarter circle godet Fabric: Navy and white gingham from Spotlight Abby Bow Headpiece: Lauren J Ritchie Shoes: Wittner
It was a wonderful week to create outfits for Stakes Day. Check out our Melbourne Cup Day and Derby Day looks to see what else we made for the week.
Georgia has studied Law at Deakin University for the last six years. Also with Erin this would be her last Law Ball. We wanted to make her dress something special. We started with some inspiration and Erin’s key criteria for Georgia was she had to choose a colour that wasn’t black.
Construction of Jungle Green Silk Satin Dress
The bodice for Georgia’s dress started with Simplicity 6408 as it had a beautiful back shape and the gathered front seam created the perfect neckline. The skirt needed to be cut on the bias to create the drape and fall Georgia was after so we used Butterick 5710 as the base for this.
Erin and Georgia went on a fabric hunt and found a beautiful jungle green (not black) silk satin at Rathdowne Fabrics in Brunswick.
The design of the dress evolved from the original sketch. We chose to remove the bottom ruffle section and keep the straps travelling straight over the shoulders.
The thin straps were created using the fabric, creating a thin tube. The strap was turned through using a bobkin sewing needle (a needle without a point used for sewing chunky knits).
The dress was constructed to a point that meant Georgia could try it on. At the fitting we decided that fully lining the bodice would be the best course to finish it off. The lining of the bodice was interfaced with whisperweft interfacing. A piece of plastic boning along the side seam position to provide some stability. The skirt side seams were finished with a french seam to provide a neat finish. This reduced any damage that might be cause to the fabric by placing it through an overlocker.
Pattern: Simplicity 6408 and Butterick 5710 Fabric: Jungle green silk satin from Rathdowne Fabrics